On behalf of Regional Council, I am happy to announce Halton Region’s 2011 Progress Report is now available online at www.halton.ca/progressreport. The report takes a close look at key Regional initiatives and accomplishments from 2011.
Of significant importance in 2011 was the development of The Citizens’ Priorities — Halton Region’s 2011- 2014 Action Plan. Created with input from Halton’s residents, the Action Plan identifies priority areas, key initiatives and actions that reflect what Halton’s citizens and stakeholders told us was important to them.
The 2011 Progress Report highlights just how the Region is delivering on the priorities, including:
• An investment of more than $1.7 billion in infrastructure over the next four years— with $615 million allocated to improving the regional transportation network
• The acceleration of several planned road improvements to reduce traffic congestion and the disruption caused by construction
• The formation of the 2012-2016 Solid Waste Management Strategy which aims to increase the residential waste diversion rate to 65 per cent
• Attracting and retaining jobs to Halton Region, like announcements from the Target Corporation and Siemens Canada that they will bring approximately 1,300 jobs to Halton
• The implementation of the SPLIT pass program, to help eligible low income residents to afford monthly transit passes
• The implementation of a by-law to mandate compulsory food handler training for restaurants, take-outs and other food premises in Halton
Throughout 2011, Halton Region continued to deliver a wide range of services that impact the daily lives of residents — programs like providing clean and safe drinking water, emergency medical services, waste management, public health, economic development, emergency management and so much more.
The Region is committed to continuing to deliver services in a cost-effective and efficient manner. Your feedback is important to me—please don’t hesitate to contact me with any of your comments or questions by emailing me at email@example.com.
Printed copies of the 2010 Progress Report can be requested through Access Halton at 905-825-6000, toll free at 1-866-4HALTON (1-866-442-5866), or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.