Halton Region is committed to community safety. Following Halton’s winter safety checklist can help ensure your trip is a safe one. To help keep you safe on your travels, plan ahead, drive according to the conditions and follow these tips:
- Winterize your vehicle – examine the spare tire, battery, anti-freeze, tires, brakes, heater, defroster and windshield wipers.
- Carry an emergency road kit in your vehicle’s trunk or cargo space.
- Clear all snow and ice completely off windows, side view mirrors, headlights, taillights and licence plates.
- Keep your vehicle’s fuel tank more than half full. The extra volume can help reduce moisture problems in your fuel system, add extra weight to your vehicle and be a benefit if you become stranded.
- Slow down when conditions aren’t ideal. The posted speed limit is intended for ideal road conditions. Even if the posted speed limit is 80 km/h, that doesn’t mean you should drive that fast when the road is icy or snow-covered.
Whether it’s making sure our roads are safe all year – no matter what the weather – or reminding people to follow the rules of the road, we’ll continue to improve safety on our roads by working together with residents, our police service and other community partners. By making safe choices and practicing safe behaviours, we can all make sure Halton remains a great place to live, work, raise a family and retire.