Happy New Year everyone! As we celebrate the first days of 2016, I would like to take a moment and look back on what we have accomplished together over the past year:
- We developed the Halton Region Strategic Action Plan 2015-2018: Shaping Halton’s Future (approved by Regional Council on April 1, 2015), which outlines six key strategic priority areas that align with our overall goal of enhancing the quality of life for Halton residents, today and into the future.
- We worked to advocate for a strong Halton, highlighting growth-related challenges that require action from the federal and provincial governments. Our candidate questionnaire released during the 2015 Federal Election was one small part of our ongoing efforts to ensure that existing taxpayers are not burdened with the cost of growth;
- We maintained our AAA credit rating and thus our strong long-term financial position;
- We were named one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for a fifth consecutive year;
- We hosted several successful community events including Harvest Halton; and
- We expanded our high-quality road, water and wastewater infrastructure.
These are only a few of the many accomplishments we have made in 2015. The New Year will bring new opportunities to demonstrate why Halton Region is one of the best places to live and fastest growing communities in the province. We will work to build upon these achievements in the months to come, and you can expect many new developments in 2016. Some of these initiatives include:
- Improvements to the Dedicated Offload Nurse program, including additional paramedics and enhanced equipment;
- Expansion of the Halton Region Community Investment Fund;
- Implementation of the Active Transportation Master Plan, Burlington Waterfront Master Plan and Region-wide Basement Flooding Mitigation Strategy;
- Establishing an internship and apprenticeship program;
- Introduction of the Older Adults Tax Deferral Program;
- Continued investments in affordable and assisted housing; and
- Maintaining the state-of-good-repair for Regional infrastructure.
To stay up-to-date on our accomplishments throughout the year, sign up for email alerts, follow us on social media or visit halton.ca. I look forward to working with Regional staff, Council, community partners, and residents to help keep Halton a great place to live, work, raise a family and retire in 2016.
As always, if you have any Regional concerns or comments you would like to share, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also find me on Twitter @garycarrhalton, LinkedIn or Facebook. To receive further updates on Regional issues, please subscribe to my quarterly e-newsletter, “The Carr Report”.