This is one of my favourite times of year. Farmers’ markets are opening and Halton residents are rediscovering the benefits and the excitement of living in a community where there is access to fresh, local produce and products right from the farm.
Starting in May and June and continuing right through to October, fresh fruit, vegetables, maple syrup and other delicious foods are available at local farms and farmers’ markets.
To learn more, I invite you to take a look at Simply Local – Your Guide to Halton Farms. This excellent resource promotes Halton’s diverse farming industry, encourages healthy eating and helps connect Halton residents with Halton farms. Discover which farms are growing your favourite produce, where you can pick your own and what is in season.
You can also check out our new interactive Simply Local Map. This online tool makes it easier for you to plan out your tour of Halton farms by providing detailed location and driving directions.
There are many benefits to buying from local farms.
- When we buy locally, we support the local economy and keep our farms in business for future generations.
- With less processing, packaging, refrigeration and transportation involved in connecting food from the farm to the consumer, buying locally also helps protect our environment.
- Buying locally helps us build a sense of community by establishing a connection between the farmer and the consumer. By engaging with Halton farmers, residents can make more informed choices in selecting healthy and nutritious foods.
- Many farms also offer play areas and wagon rides to make your visit even more entertaining for the whole family. Participating in activities at one of Halton’s farms is a wonderful way to enjoy the outdoors, interact with our community and with nature.
- Local food can be an important part of healthy eating. Buying food that is locally grown may encourage increased consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables, which is good for your health.
- Lastly, one of the top reasons to buy from local farmers is that freshly picked local food always tastes great!
I encourage you to support our farms and buy locally. I look forward to seeing you at a farmers’ market or Halton farm soon.
For a free copy of “Simply Local – Your Guide to Halton Farms,” you can: order online, dial 311 or email Access Halton and request a copy to be mailed, pick one up at the Halton Regional Centre at 1151 Bronte Road, Oakville or visit your local tourism office.
If you have any Regional concerns or comments you would like to share, please feel free to email me at email@example.com. You can also find me on Twitter @garycarrhalton or on Facebook. To receive further updates on Regional issues, please subscribe to my quarterly e-newsletter, “The Carr Report.”